Data plays a vital role in helping companies develop a competitive advantage, but it’s the data evangelist who gathers and leverages those insights to help organizations understand the story their data is telling them. Today, on Analytics on Fire, we discuss how to become a data evangelist with data storyteller, leader, and lifelong learner, Santosh Kanthethy. At the time of recording this episode, Santosh was the IT Technology Manager for NextEra Energy Resources. Now, he is Head of Data Analytics and the leader of a growing internal data visualization community at EverBright, a solar financing solutions company and a subsidiary of NextEra.
Tuning in, you’ll gain step-by-step instructions for becoming a rockstar data evangelist , including three things to consider before you get started. We also take a look at the top functions of an internal data visualization community, how to get your executive team on board, and how to overcome some of the challenges that data evangelists are likely to encounter along the way. For actionable insights into how to build a thriving community, transform data culture from the inside out, and more, make sure not to miss this episode!
In this episode, you'll learn:
- [06:16] More about NextEra, one of America's largest capital investors in infrastructure.
- [07:10] Defining what a data evangelist is and how the internal data visualization community at NextEra was born.
- [08:48] Why Santosh decided to nurture and grow this community and switch from IT to data.
- [09:55] What the game of cricket taught Santosh about being a team leader.
- [13:55] Three things to consider before becoming a data evangelist: the maturity of your organization, your curiosity, and your ability to create content.
- [19:16] How often the data community meets and some of the topics that come up.
- [20:50] The three core selling points of a data community for your company: consistency better decision making, and relevance.
- [24:19] Tips for obtaining essential executive buy-in and support.
- [26:52] Becoming tool-agnostic: how to evangelize the benefits of the practice, not the tool.
- [29:34] A look at membership and how to determine who joins your data community.
- [31:40] KPIs, WIGs, and OKRs to measure the success of your community.
- [34:13] How data evangelists can overcome resistance while building a community.
- [36:20] What percentage of technology budgets should be allocated to community, change management, and upskilling.
- [38:50] How Santosh is inspired by the people he interacts with on a daily basis.
- [0:43:21] How Santosh can help you visualize your fitness data from Garmin or Strava!
For full show notes, and the links mentioned visit: https://bibrainz.com/podcast/89
Enjoyed the Show?
Please leave us a review on iTunes.