This week on the Analytics on Fire, we’re featuring an exciting interview with Andrew Brust (my personal Big Data go-to mentor), a 15 year Big Data veteran who not only is the Senior Director, at Datameer, but also is a highly sought-after influencer on the topic of Big Data and talks about the industry in his ZDNet column Big On Data.
I was luckily able to arrange an interview with Andrew and it couldn't have turned out better.
In This Episode, You'll Learn:
- Why there’s a certain “fetish” around the size of Big Data projects (and the false bragging rights that go with 'data size').
- Andrew’s rule of thumb on what big data really is... "If it’s too big, only then is it Big Data.”
- The three V's of Big Data (and the recent fourth V) and how they pertain to you as a data-driven organization.
- Andrew's distinction between BI and Big Data, and why they may become less useful in the future.
- The ultimate soft skill that every ‘data-interested’ person should brush up on to get the most out of data.
- What business intelligence professionals need to know before deciding to become a "data scientist".
- What’s happening that makes basic data analysis more accessible to companies and people interested in harnessing the power of big data.
- The five Big Data Myths and Andrew’s insights to where they are true (AND where they’re false).
- How to get real ROI from big data.
- Andrew's answer to the question: "Is the Internet Of Things a high-value opportunity or is it just a buzz word?"
You can find show notes and more information by clicking here: http://analyticsonfire.com/11